ABOUT MARC PROGIN, THE SHORT & SWEET VERSION
包士哲. Given by Mrs. P. Lee and Mr. W. Mui, in 1977, in Hong Kong. Three characters translating, as they said, …the one of the undersigned as well as his knowledge. The first meaning “Justice” (Bâo), from a famous judge of the Song dynasty; the second “Soldier” or “Well-read” (Shi) and the third “Philosopher” or “Wise person”. Not an easy name to be called by but for which it is not necessary to come to terms with if ones’ behaviour remains modest.
Velociraptor (from the 2006 Gobi odyssey when and where he met with the remains of a velociraptor) Also from the french word “vélo” (bicycle), then “véloce” (nimble and quick) and raptor…hungry for miles…
65 millions years ago, during the late cretaceous period, then reincarneted on May 1st, 1945 as a Swiss, in Peseux…In those days the working-class suburbs of Neuchâtel, Switzerland.
…not within the space of Mongolia ! Anywhere else, yes, as a Swiss.
More or less a watchmaker, a poet, a geographer and a photographer.
French, English, some German and tiny bits of Chinese and Mongol.
Long distance running, mountain trail specialist, more than 30 x 100km. races including 3 world championships in 2003, 2005, and 2007 ranking 5th in 9h39. Latest 100km race in August 2015 with a 1st place in veteran catagory. Also run numerous marathons and other long distance competitions. Access some statistics here >
MEAN OF TRANSPORTATION
Compass, sun and stars.
MAP & ITINERARIES
Wild nature, original space.
Oxygen and raw light.
Tent, ger, sleeping bag under the stars.
Rivers, lakes, wells.
– Odysseys of a solitary long distance off road cyclist, mainly across the deserts, steppes, forests and mountains of Mongolia and in all seasons. All together till 2010, 17000 km in trips of up to 3500km each with daily average of 100K+.
– Winter long distance hiking across the deserts of Mongolia.
– Winter expeditions together with own camel caravan over mountains and across deserts of sand dunes in Mongolia.
All together till 2016, 20000 km…
The spatial odyssey back in times, from the Contemporary to the Palaeolithic age, in Feb. 2014, together with Bat, his best mongol friend, 10 bactrian camels, 3 nomads, a ger (yurt) in search of remains left by ancient civilization.
Writing, particularly poetry in alexandrine verses, photography, publications of chronicles, booklets and series of portraits.
– Vastness, Magnificence and Simplicity, 2006, at the HK Foreign Correspondant club, Hong Kong
– Nomads, Caravans and Migration, 2013, at Latitude 22N, Hong Kong
– The Spatial Odyssey Back in Times, at Latitude 22N, Hong Kong
To keep fit both in body and mind to be able to share, in priority, years of experience, to publish books, organize photos exhibitions, give conferences, run 100km races and enjoy solo adventure journeys across the deserts of northern Asia. And if there is any time left……to live till 2057.
OTHER WORK AND ASSIGNMENTS COMING SOON ON THIS WEBSITE
Photography of Hong Kong, including:
– Hong Kong heritage society, Sham Shui Po preservation project
– Mei Ho House permanent exhibition, Sham Shui Po, H.K
– The odyssey of a lone cyclist on the road of oases and deserts of the Cretaceous era
– Zingaro, the equestrian theater from France
CONFERENCES ABOUT MONGOLIA
Conferences with musical slideshows presentation at the Royal Geographical Society of Hong Kong in 2013 and 2017.
Then other conferences in english or french, for adults or adapted for schools and for kids from 8 to 18 years of age, in HK, China, Mongolia, Switzerland etc.